Friday, June 13, 2014

chemo 5:five alive!

my regular oncologist was back, so i went back to her, rather than the substitute.

she was very sorrowful for missing out on my port adventure.  she let me tell the story of how the port felt itchy after i was out all night in the elements.  she said that allergies aren't localized to just the port area.  she said that when they checked my white blood cells just before this incident, she noticed that they were lower than usual.  she thinks that was the culprit.  (it helps to have someone who looks at the full picture, and all the charts.... looking for a pattern.) she also said she would have had the port taken out a month or two later.... but i'm glad it's out now.  (especially if i have to have radiation on that side)

the nurse practitioner said that my glucose levels were up, but not dangerously so.  my oncologist said that would happen when you get steroids.  i was relieved when she said that.  my mother had diabetes near the end... i have to keep away from that.

she was concerned a bit over my higher heart rate.  (so was her nurse.... she insisted on a hug, and told me all will be better soon.)  she said that could be because of the stress of getting here (i told her i was in no way used to morning traffic), or it could be because i was dehydrated.  she said that the chemo will give me fluids to help me along (and how!), but i think it was more because i got a little lost when i missed my exit.  i am *so* going to leave early the next time i go in......

i'm going to have a last chemo on the 7th.  (not on the 4th, when it naturally would fall.  that's a holiday, and i'll more than likely be spending that at home watching strange movies.)  i have a pet scan that will be scheduled the week of the 14th, to see if there is any more cancer in me.  she'll call me with the results.  if i still have cancer in me, then i will have approximately 30 sessions of radiation.  (4-5 weeks)  my oncologist assures me that i can work during radiation, but i'm still on the fence about it.  i mean, i'm tough and all....but am i mentally ready to return to work?

she didn't have much to say about my eyes.... i think i'm just going to have to make do with re-wetting drops, and hope that they return to normal soon......

the chemo was longer, and a bit rougher.  they jabbed both arms (not hands, but inner arms) to get an i.v. in.  i was very timid at first to type.....and even now my right arm feels swollen.  one nurse was asking questions i had never been asked, and i got a "i shoulda been a doctor" vibe from her.  it was ok, though.  some people are like that.... i sometimes get that way when someone thinks i can't do what a librarian does.  i wish her well.  i've got that "full of liquid drug" feeling i always get....but this time i'm drinking more water.  i'm a thirsty thang!

i was in better spirits this morning.  it was good to see my oncologist, and i joked with her a bit.  made me happy to be happy with her.  the chemo was a bit sketchy, but it's passed.... and there's only one more to go.

i might be able to pull this off, you know?

 

1 comment:

  1. Five Alive? What's Next ? Juicy Juice?


    Glad you made it through.

    ReplyDelete